Pressing Matters VIII
Atlanta Printmakers Studio Annual Members Exhibition
November 4 – December 8, 2017
Abernathy Arts Center
Opening Reception: Saturday, November 4 1-3pm
ELIGIBILITY: This exhibit is open to all Atlanta Printmakers Studio members. Each member may enter up to 2 entries for selection. At least one piece will be chosen from each member and you will receive email notification. All members may also include up to 2 unframed prints (in a plastic bag or plastic wrap either matted or on backing board) that will be placed in print bins and made available for sale.
ELIGIBLE TYPES OF WORK: Any type of original, hand-pulled printmaking processes. Entries must incorporate at least one hand-pulled printmaking process and not have been shown in a previous Pressing Matters exhibition. All work must be framed and ready to hang (excluding print bin work) and not exceed 40 inches in any direction.
AWARDS: A “Best in Show” award of $100 and three “Honorable Mention” awards of $50 each will be selected by art center manager, Laura Martin.
ABOUT THE GALLERY: Abernathy Arts Center is operated by the Fulton County Department of Arts & Culture. Abernathy Arts Center offers a broadr range of day and evening classes for children and adults. The gallery features rotating exhibits throughout the year. Abernathy Arts Center, 254 Johnson Ferry Road, NW, Sandy Springs, GA 30328
October 10: Entry Deadline
October 15: Artist Notification
October 28, 31 & November 1: Artwork Delivery Period
November 4: Exhibit Opens; Reception 1-3pm
December 8: Exhibition Closes
December 9, 12, 13: Artwork pick up/return
Emerging Artist Residency (EAR) was established in 2009 by Atlanta Printmakers Studio (APS) to provide emerging artists the resources to create a body of work and an opportunity for professional development. APS’s mission is to nurture the practice of printmaking by providing the means for artists to make prints while celebrating and educating the community about the fine art of printmaking. EAR accomplishes this goal by providing artists a well-equipped studio, education, mentorship, exhibition, as well as, a unique opportunity to work with practicing artists of varied backgrounds and diverse skills.
For the purposes of this program, an emerging artist is someone who shows significant potential, yet has not achieved a corresponding amount of professional accomplishment and recognition as an artist, regardless of age or recognition in other fields.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
Emerging Artist Residency is open to all emerging printmakers.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old and not a full time student.
- Applicants must already possess basic training in traditional printmaking techniques.
- Applicants must provide examples of their prints.
- Applicants from out of town may apply, but please note that housing and transportation are not included with this program. All expenses and arrangements related to transportation, housing or other living expenses are the responsibility of the artist.
- APS members, contracted APS instructors and volunteers are eligible to apply. APS Board of Directors and employees are not eligible to apply.
THE RESIDENCY AWARDS
The total value of each residency is approximately $1600. Two - three artists are selected per year and each receive:
- Studio rental remission for 24/7 access to APS studio (up to 6 months)
- Materials stipend of $600
- One free APS class or workshop
- Personal mentoring by a professional artist
- One year APS membership
- Group exhibit and reception at the end of the residency